Salty Peppery Chicken Nuggets
Salty peppery chicken nuggets are the only thing I order when I go to Bubble world, but they usually charge about $10 for a side of chicken. Since that can easily add up, especially if there are more than two people eating, I wanted to try to cook some chicken myself.
I like to marinate the chicken overnight to infuse it directly with the delicious flavours. If you do not have that much time, try to marinate it for a minimum of one hour.
I cut my chicken into small bite sized pieces. Chicken thighs will turn out more juicy, but you can also use chicken breast. I have used both, and the chicken breast is also quite good, and I usually have it on hand in my freezer. you want to get the boneless chicken so you do not have to de-bone it.
I set up two bowls, one with the egg and the other with the tapioca starch. Please use the tapioca starch! It gives it a super crispy flavour with the “pop” that you get from restaurants. If you use anything else, such as corn starch, it will not turn out as well. I can purchase all of these items at my local Asian grocery store (in Canada I usually go to TnT).
When you deep fry, gently add the chicken and “wave” it around. Then add your next piece of chicken. by adding them one at a time, they won’t all stick together into one massive clump! I learnt this the hard way…
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out the other recipes on the blog!
Taiwanese Deep Fried Chicken
- deep fryer
- 3 - 4 chicken thighs - cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar
Prep for frying
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 egg whisked
- 3 cups Oil for deep-frying
- Combine all marinade ingredients and marinate chicken for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight.
- Prep your deep fryer, and bring it to 350 degrees.
- To prepare the chicken for frying, dip the chicken in the egg, and then in the tapioca starch. Gently lower it into the oil and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, until golden brown.