Tiramisu is one of my favourite desserts. Italy is famous for their tiramisu, so when I was in Venice, I made sure to get a super fresh tiramisu. The quaint little shops had windows along the kitchen, so you could see them mixing all the ingredients together. The beautiful layers and rich flavours are so delicious. I got this adorable individual sized cup of tiramisu to enjoy as I was sight seeing around the narrow cannals of Venice.
I wanted to recreate this recipe at home, since I’m not on vacation in Venice right now. The key is to use all fresh ingredients, so I took a trip to my local grocery store to pick everything up. It turns out that lady fingers are a lot harder to find here in Vancouver than I thought. I looked for lady fingers at multiple grocery stores, and I couldn’t find them, so I decided to make my own! It definitely made this dessert that much better, as everything was so fresh! Check out my lady finger recipe here!
I used an almond flavoured coffee to give the tiramisu a subtle nutty flavour. One of my favourite types of run is amaretto, which is also almond flavoured! You can use any type of rum that you have on hand in this recipe! Traditionally, tiramisu uses Marsala, which is a sweetened Italian wine with a nutty flavor.
I recently got the professional kitchen aid, and it is LIFE CHANGING! No more hand whisking or beating things for hours! No one wants a sore arm. It also saves so much time as my egg whites can be whisking while I start to prep my other ingredients.
Overall, I split all my ingredients up into separate bowls. I made sure my coffee is in a large enough bowl so that my lady fingers can be fully submerged. Then it makes it super easy to layer my tiramisu.
The taste of this tiramisu is SO good! I think its even better than the one I had in Italy. This giant tiramisu sure didn’t last long in my family! Everyone was going back for seconds.
This recipe also freezes really well. You can cut it into squares and freeze for another day when you are absolutely craving tiramisu.
If you liked this recipe, check out the other recipes on the blog!
- 6 Egg yolks
- ¾ cup White sugar
- ⅔ cup Milk
- 1½ cup Heavy cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 lb Mascarpone cheese Room temperature
- ½ cup Coffee strong brewed, room temperature
- 2 tbsp Rum
- 2 packs lady fingers 6 oz total
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- In a small pot, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Gently add in milk and continue to whisk over medium heat until it boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and refrigerate until cool (~1-2 hours).
- Prepare your strong coffee, and put it in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Beat heavy cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk mascarpone into cooled yolk mixture until smooth.
- Combine coffee and rum in a small bowl. Dip ladyfingers into the coffee mixture and place in your dish. Continue to build your tiramisu layers, by adding ½ of the mascarpone mixture and then ½ of the whipped cream. Repeat layers and refrigerate for 5 hours until set.
- When serving, sift cocoa powder on top.