Ube Cream Cheese Brownies
I spent months looking at multiple different grocery stores for ube extract and ube jam. I couldn’t find it anywhere. It was even sold out online and on amazon.ca. I really wanted to bake ube flavoured items, but it was just too difficult to source. I knew it had to be accessible somewhere, as local bakeries had ube flavoured items.
One day, I was at a small convenient store, and as I was waiting in line to pay, I just happened to be standing right beside a tray full of ube extract! It was a miracle!!! I was so excited that I could finally start to experiment with ube flavoured items. I even picked up a couple more ube extract for a few of my baking friends. I found the McCornick ube flavouring and it can be found on the US amazon.com. I paid about $3.75 CAD for a 25 mL bottle.
The ube jam was easier to find. I found it at my local TnT supermarket. I feel like ube items are easier to find now. At the store, I paid about $3.75 CAD for this jar of ube jam. It’s quite a bit more on amazon, so I would suggest looking at your local asian grocery stores first!
Anyways, I love anything with cream cheese in it, so I thought why not have an ube brownie with a cream cheese topping. These turned out so delicious. I even got my brother (who is a very picky eater) to taste test it, and he approves! The brownie is a nice dense texture that is moist and flavourful. If you are also a big ube and cream cheese lover, check out my other recipe for delicious ube macarons with a cream cheese filling.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! What other ube recipes would you like to see?
If you liked this recipe, check out the other recipes on the blog!
Ube Cream Cheese Brownie
- 1¼ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Sugar Can add an additional ½ cup sugar if you like it sweeter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Ube extract
- ¼ cup Ube Jam (Ube halaya)
Cream cheese swirl
- 8 oz Cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, first combine melted butter and white sugar. Then add eggs and mix. Add ube extract and ube jam.
- Combine dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Set aside approximately ½ cup of this mixture for our swirl. Pour remaining batter into a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- For the swirl, combine all ingredients (cream cheese, white sugar, egg and vanilla extract).
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top of Ube mixture, and then use the remaining ½ cup of batter to create drops sporadically on the top. Use a chopstick to create the swirl.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the brownie is set.