Medium Rare Steak
Medium rare steaks are absolutely delicious, and you don’t need to be a five-star chef to cook one at home. For your next date night, make a perfectly cooked steak to impress your significant other.
One of the most important things to get for the kitchen is a meat thermometer. It will be a lifesaver and you’ll need it to know when your steak is cooked to your liking.
Remember that your steak needs to rest after its been cooked for at least 3 minutes. This helps the meat to become nice and tender, as the muscle fibers relax and the juices redistribute throughout the team. It will continue to cook inside even when it’s off the heat. So it is better to pull the meat off the grill when it reaches just before the desired temperature.
Steak cooking chart:
Rare: 120 to 130 F; 5 then 3 minutes per side; pull off the grill at max 125 F
Medium-Rare: 130 to 135 F; 5 then 4 minutes per side; pull off the grill at max 130 F
Medium 140 to 150 F; 6 then 4 minutes per side; pull off the grill at max 145 F
Medium-Well 155 to 165 F; 7 then 5 minutes per side; pull off the grill at max 160 F
Well-Done 170 F or more; 12 then 10 minutes per side; pull off the grill at max 165 F
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out the other recipes on the blog!
Perfect Medium Rare Steak
- 2 Steaks
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 stems Fresh thyme
- Coat steaks with salt and pepper.
- Heat Pan with olive oil on high heat. When hot, gently place steaks on the pan away from you.
- With a pair of tongs, gently turn the steaks every 30 seconds.
- Don't forget to turn the steaks onto the side, where the fatty layer is, and continue to sear for 30 seconds.
- Add in crushed garlic. and continue to turn every 1 minutes. This helps to cook the steaks evenly.
- Add in fresh thyme and butter. Tilt the pan and baste the steaks.
- For medium rare, you want the internal temperature to be 135 degrees F. Ensure to check each steak as the different thicknesses will determine how fast it cooks.